Friday, November 18, 2011

Any Night Thanksgiving Squash

Today I'm having a guest blogger share a recipe. ... but she's not just any guest. I have literally known her HER entire life (she's a little younger than me ;-D ). Ashley is the whole reason I started figure skating many years ago! THANK YOU Ash for introducing me to the sport!!!
Ashley has lived an interesting life so far, and she is quite a wonderful person. She's quick on her feet and oh so kind. She also comes up with some great ideas for food and has started her own blog, Dishes, dedicated to yumminess. My favorite idea of hers? This one! NOM!NOM!NOM! :) I LOVE this sandwich. My favorite completely unhealthy addition? Bacon. Yeah yeah yeah... I know. ;-D

So, here is Ashley for you to enjoy her yummy idea!

~*~*~

I find I like cooking a whole lot better than dish-doing. So, the deal in my family is that I cook, he does the dishes because we both work. And, he does a fabulous job at dishes, so my competitive spirit says - "I must be fabulous at cooking!" Somehow, my limited knowledge, gained only from library books I started checking out in elementary school, has gotten me this far. Now, I use what I've learned to create healthy, easy meals that my family loves. It's a good thing I'm inventive - because I really hate doing dishes. 
In New England, we welcomed Fall with a fast and furious winter storm. I hope your Fall has started out a bit more mild. Either way, this simple 4 ingredient recipe is sure to evoke the Fall in your family. It started out as me putting together what I had in my kitchen and has become a family favorite that is good enough for Thanksgiving, but easy enough for any school night. You don’t need a certain kind of squash- use whatever you have or whichever one looks most interesting to you in the store. You can also use sugar pumpkin (not the jack-o-lantern type.) The straighter the lines of the squash, though, the easier it is to peel. During any step in this recipe, if things get hectic you can put what you’re working on in the refrigerator and finish it another day.


Step 1: Cut off the top and bottom of your squash. You can scoop seeds out now if you prefer, or wait until step 3.


Step 2: Peel your squash. I have found the easiest way to do that is cutting down the sides in small strips with a pareing knife.


Step 3:  Cut squash into cubes. They don’t have to be any particular size, and don’t worry about making them exactly equal. There are bigger things in life to worry about. ;) Using a steamer, steam squash for about 30 minutes until easily pierced with a fork. (If you don’t have a steamer, you can roast squash for about an hour in the oven at 350F.)



4: Mash squash with a fork or potato masher. Enlist your little ones to help if they are around!


Step 5: Add cream (approximately ¼ cup, to taste and texture preferences), about 2 TBSP maple syrup, and about ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice and continue mashing until desired creaminess. Enjoy!


Possible substitutes: Milk for cream. Honey, sugar, agave nectar, or sugar substitute for maple syrup. Cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, or any combination of these for pumpkin pie spice.

Check out more recipies or contact me on my blog, dishesbyglitterpony.blogspot.com.

~*~*~

Thank you Ashley! This sounds great and I can't wait to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment