Friday, February 3, 2012

More Important Than Food

Some things are more important than writing about food, or putting together a tutorial about food. So today is not a Food Friday post. Instead today is a post about choosing joy, and giving of yourself, and being happy with your life.

Generally, I have always been what I would call a realistic optimist. I prefer to look on the brightside, but I realize that everything isn't roses and lavender. I want to be happy and think happy but sometimes life gets full of stress and I get all caught up in it. I know I'm not alone in my outlook of trying to always be happy, but sometimes it just doesn't work. I'm human, you're human, we're all human. At least, I'm pretty sure only humans can read this. Maybe I'm wrong...my dog is pretty smart.


Part of the reason I've been so behind in getting posts up is because I have two children at home (one in college), and dinner to make, and toys to clean up, and laundry to do, and orders to fill.
I've also been invited to participate in a very special auction. It's to help Ashley of Lil Blue Boo. In case you don't know what's going on, you can get caught up here. Her medical bills aren't exactly pretty. Definitely nowhere near as pretty as she is, inside and out!

Ashley and I don't really know each other in real life. And she doesn't really know me at all other than from the comments I leave on her blog and Facebook page. I only know her because of her blog and store. But she inspires me. Every day. She amazes me with all that she does. Her creativity is seemingly endless. Her clothing is fun and beautiful. And she is inspiring on a personal level.

So I want to do what I can to help her. She definitely deserves it. I'm making a few things to donate to the Choose Joy auction, and it's making me even more busy than I usually am! It's definitely worth it, but I wish I had some help! I'm not busy enough to actually hire someone, but I'm busy enough to need some help. I'll figure it out. I know none of us are given more than we can handle.


I learned this when my littlest giraffe was being born. And I keep seeing how true it is. We aren't given more than we can handle in life. We are given exactly what we need to learn whatever lessons we are supposed to learn. And hopefully we understsand that and actually learn the lessons instead of trying to hide from them.

The biggest lesson I seem to be needing to learn is to appreciate more. Not just more often, but more of the things that I should appreciate. To not take anything for granted. I also need to learn to live IN my happiness. Not just SHOW happiness. You know that saying "fake it till you make it"? Well it can kinda be applied to being happy and choosing to be happy too. Fake it till you forget you're faking it. But while you're faking it work on really being happy in your life.

I've been trying to appreciate my family more. Not taking anything they do for granted. Not even the littlest snuggles. I'm choosing joy, happiness, gaiety, felicity, delight, solace, blessedness, and warm fuzzies. I'm hoping to help spread joy like the best contagion there ever could be. Because I realize that happiness is contagious. Try smiling at a stranger. Or helping them with their groceries. Or simply asking them, very genuinely, how they are doing. You might just make someone's day, week, or life brighter. Or better yet, change their outlook.

As much as I love food (because I REALLY love food!!), some things are just more important. I suppose I could still scramble to finish up the Food Friday post I was working on for today. But I think it will be OK if I wait until next Friday to post it. Don't you? ;-) (And yes, I do realize that's a completely loaded question!)

No comments:

Post a Comment